Monday, August 1, 2011

Project 3 and 4 mid-process


I'm currently working on the video for the drawing. I'm using the everyday repetitive act of rubbing/massaging my arthritic hands as the inspiration for my mark making drawing and accompanying video. This goes (excuse the pun) hand in hand, because when I sew either for myself, others (I took footage mending my fiance's uniform), or for/with a classroom of students my hands ache. Drawing and other forms of art making do so also, but one time in fashion school it was really bad. I was sewing a lot and for whatever reason I had a huge flare up. I was approached by my school if I needed someone to take notes for me, and my left hand would be completely stiff. Stuck in a frozen expression till I worked on it. I wonder what the future will be like working with these hands and hope I can still do what I love later in life (when I actually have the time to). I actually worried about this when engagement ring shopping. These knuckles aren't getting any smaller :/ I'm using the medium of sewing to express the motion of rubbing my hands and to express the feeling of pain. I played around with different bobbin thread colors and came back to flesh tone. It gives it another layer, and it less graphic then using the same color top thread and bobbin. I decided to use small peices of paper in the interest of saving money, and also keeping in mind the limitations of the sewing machine (length of the arm). I worked with a couple of sewing techniques and really like sewing a simple seam and pressing it with a fingernail open so you see the threads a little on the front but it doesn't take attention away from the drawing itself. This speaks to the language of sewing , having seams. It's coming along....

No comments:

Post a Comment