(this is my crazy American garage, collecting supplies)


Ok I'm thinking about the artist's we viewed in class and the materials I have here in H
opewell junction. I spotted a bag of basketballs and I'm reminded of the styrofoam clouds (artist's name is escaping me now). I'm leaning towards doing something with them. We have so many because my dad runs a girl's basketball camp every yr ( which I coach usually when I'm not in summer intensive). They make me recall him but also speak about modernity. The camp's numbers get lower every year. Kids play video games and parents are I think losing sight of the importance of kids playing together, and organized sports. It's more about what's convenient. Basketballs have inherent meaning about play, urban life, and that they are women's size balls indicates more to the viewer. How are women viewed and paid in sports like basketball?
Other ideas I played around with before reaching this...
Creating a piece using old love notes, emails, and other personal writings and drawings I've kept over the years. Possibly drawing attention to the invasion of privacy of reading them with something reflective.
opewell junction. I spotted a bag of basketballs and I'm reminded of the styrofoam clouds (artist's name is escaping me now). I'm leaning towards doing something with them. We have so many because my dad runs a girl's basketball camp every yr ( which I coach usually when I'm not in summer intensive). They make me recall him but also speak about modernity. The camp's numbers get lower every year. Kids play video games and parents are I think losing sight of the importance of kids playing together, and organized sports. It's more about what's convenient. Basketballs have inherent meaning about play, urban life, and that they are women's size balls indicates more to the viewer. How are women viewed and paid in sports like basketball?Other ideas I played around with before reaching this...
Creating a piece using old love notes, emails, and other personal writings and drawings I've kept over the years. Possibly drawing attention to the invasion of privacy of reading them with something reflective.
Ultimately I felt that the basketballs are more overwhelming than a few love notes so I'd rather use that massiveness to play with the audience.
I would like to make a sculpture using the balls connecting them in some way like they are when they're in the mesh gym bag..... or maybe invite the viewer to play queen of the court a game of competition where you need to keep your dribble as you try to knock out other people's balls. The box gets smaller and smaller as people get knocked out till one person wins. The twist is I would not fill up all the balls so some people would be at an unfair advantage ( a commentary on capitalism and living in America).
No comments:
Post a Comment